Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Hyvää Runebergin Päivää ja Ystävänpäivää (Happy Runeberg Day and Valentines Day!)


This has been a great week in which we celebrated this wonderful small holiday called Runebergin Päivää. We celebrate this poet by eating a delicious torttu his wife created. (see picture) And to follow a great holiday like that on Sunday we will be celebrating Ystävänpäivää! The direct translation is friend day and that is exactly what it is: not romantic whatsoever, but rather a day to celebrate the good friends you have. Definitely my kind of holidays! So hope you all have a great Ystävänpäivää and also Ana I hope you have a great birthday on Sunday as well :).

This week we had a once in a life time experience of giving a church tour before a funeral was taking place in the church building. This was our investigator's second time ever being in a church building of any religion. As we were showing him the chapel and explaining the sacrament etc. they started bringing in the casket and everything....it was so awkward haha voi että (oh brother). That will be a memorable moment haha. 

My companion has been pretty sick this week so we have spent a lot of time inside. I have gotten a lot better with speaking Finnish on the phone after a few days of just doing that. But in all seriousness, this week was a cool week. In church I can pretty safely say that I understood every single thing discussed and felt very comfortable with the language. (I know that doesn't seem like that big of a deal that half way through my mission I felt like that...but it was motivating to see the progress that has happened over the last nine months). 
I'm praying for you and am so grateful for your thoughts and prayers. I love you!

-Sisar Clark



No comments:

Post a Comment